Holidays: Top Ten Tips
(reprint only with permission from Diane MacEachern)
- Caulk or weatherstrip windows and doors to prevent cold air from seeping into your living space.
- Install storm windows and doors to create an additional barrier against cold air.
- Insulate attics, crawl spaces, exterior walls, and basement ceilings and walls.
- Use a programmable thermostat to automatically turn down the heat when you don't need it.
- Get an energy audit to determine where your house is leaking energy.
- Turn down your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Wrap your water heater in an insulating blanket to keep water hotter longer.
- Consume less hot water by using appliances efficiently.
- Maintain your furnace to run at maximum energy efficiency.
- Upgrade your appliances to those that waste the least amount of energy and water.
For a detailed explanation of these energy saving tips, see Your Home... Energy Conservation